Moving In or Moving Out: SERVPRO® of Ascension Parish Can Restore Your Home
Spring and summer have proven to be the most popular months for people to move apartments and houses. Although people move during the other seasons, spring and summer are popular because of the better weather and the timing. Moving during this time helps students and families with kids or teachers settle in before the school year begins. As we are in the middle of the summer season, Ascension Parish is getting ready for a new group of college students to move into town, along with seasoned students coming back to start another school year.
Whether you’re a student or have a student moving into an apartment, there are costs that come with moving and living in a rental. To help you out, we’ve developed a list of things to keep in mind and check when moving in (and moving out) of an apartment or rental home to avoid losing your deposit!
- The Furniture: If you’re moving into a furnished apartment, check to see that the furniture is clean and in livable condition. When you are ready to move out, make sure the furniture is in good condition. If you need upholstery cleaning, SERVPRO® of East Baton Rouge provides this service.
- The Walls: make sure the pain is consistent throughout the entirety of the unit. Verify that the paint isn’t made with poisonous materials. For wood-paneled walls, check to see none of the panels are loose or show signs of rotting. When you’re ready to move out, be sure the walls are free of dirt, pet dander, cigarette smoke and other contaminants. Need help? Check out what we can do.
- The Windows: make sure all windows can open in case of a fire. Be sure there is no broken glass and that it is free of mold. Check that all of this is clear when moving out as well.
- The Electricity: check all of the lights and be sure they work. Go to your fuse box and make sure it is not damaged or missing any pieces. Also check the plugs in the walls to be sure your appliances will work when plugged in. If in the unfortunate event there has been a fire, we offer fire restoration to get the unit back in shape.
- The Thermostat: be sure that your unit can blow both hot and cold air. Check to see if the filter has been cleaned recently. Ventilation systems are vital in providing good air quality, if you need an inspection or cleaning, let SERVPRO® of Ascension Parish help.
- The Smoke Detectors: make sure all are working properly. Test them to be sure they make noise. For an extra safety measure, replace the batteries with fresh ones upon moving in.
- Water Flow: Turn on all faucets and showers to make sure the water can get cold and warm. Check quality of water to see that it’s clear and not foggy. Also use this time to make sure the toilets are clean and flush properly. In case there’s water damage while you’re a tenant, see how we can help with our water services.
- Mold and Mildew: Check bathrooms and kitchen for any mold or mildew that might be inside cabinets or on walls. A mold infestation can produce allergens and irritants, you’ll want a professional that has training and experience to properly remove the infestation.
- The Floor: make sure you check that the carpets are clean, without tears, and have no pieces missing. They should not be stained nor should they have an odor. If it’s tile, make sure all tiles are in place and none are popping out or scuffed. When moving out, make sure the carpets are clean and free of heavy soil. If you need help cleaning, SERVPRO® of Ascension Parish provides professional cleaning.
- Pest Control: Make sure your apartment is clear of insects and rodents. If needed, notify your property manager of the problem and let them know pest control is needed. Keep an eye out for this during your time at this residence to prevent any damage to the property that could be repaired at the cost of your deposit.
Although exciting, moving can be a stressful time. To be sure your apartment is in good shape when moving out, contact SERVPRO® of Ascension Parish to inspect and help restore the unit if needed. We’re dedicated to responding faster to any size disaster, and you can depend on us to make your property look its best.